Our guests start their days in the Shackelford Room, where you will be served a memorable breakfast includilng a platter board of cheeses, a vast array of fresh fruits (when in season and available), selection of yogurt’s and granola, orange & grapefruit juice, crispy bacon, soft boiled, or scrambled eggs, muffins, scones, bread, jam and marmalade. All attractively presented with fine blue willow patterned China, silver dishes, pretty jugs, etc. A real treat and a real feast! If you are here for a while and want to go out for breakfast, see our website for other breakfast choices in Beaufort.
Shackelford Room - Breakfast Room & Common Living Area
|Moseley's 1733 Map|
noted "Shakelford" on
the west side of North River.
This room is named for Francis and John Shackelford; there were the first of a handful of men who were residents of the Core Sound settlement prior to 1713. Therefore, it is appropriate to name a room after them.
It is believed the Shackelford ancestors lived in a small town near London, England, known as Shackelford Village, Godalming, Surry, England.
Roger Shackelford, the immigrant, was a descendant of William de Shackelford (1490-bef.1558). Roger was born in 1629 in Old Alresford, Hampshire, South East England. He fled England in 1658 with French Huguenot Edward Palmer, who had received a headrights grant of 400 acres in the Virginia Colony. (In the headright system, one received 50 acres of land for every emigrant sponsored to America.) Roger Shackelford married Mary Palmer about 1660; she was on the headrights grant.
Of the many sons of Roger and Mary Shackelford, John and Francis Shackelford were born in Essex County, Virginia, but made their way to the Craven Precinct portion of Bath County (now Carteret County) sometime after 1705. They were the first of a handful of men, including John Nelson, John Fulford, Enoch Ward and Robert Turner, who were residents of the Core Sound settlement prior to 1713 (then Craven Precinct, Bath County).
NOTE: Carteret "Precinct" was created in 1722 from part of Craven "Precinct" and both remained as divisions of Bath County until Bath County was dissolved in 1739 and all "Precincts" became "Counties."
Sometime after 1705, Francis and John Shackelford moved their families* (see below) from Virginia to the Core Sound area of North Carolina, then part of Craven Precinct, Bath County. They were the first of a handful of men, including John Nelson, John Fulford, Enoch Ward and Robert Turner, who were residents of the Core Sound settlement prior to 1713.
Francis Shackelford became active in the affairs of the Core Sound area by 1708, as did his brother, John Shackelford, by 1709.
On October 30, 1708, Francis Shackelford and Francis Dawson were witnesses to the transfer of a tract of land which later became the site of Beaufort from Peter Wordin to Farnifold Green.