William Borden Jr. was the first documented owner of the land on which this house was built.
~William Borden Jr. (1731–1799), son of William Borden (1689-1749) and Alice Hull (1693-1730), was born February 6, 1731 in Tiverton, Rhode Island. He came to Carteret County with his family and settled on Harlowe Creek, where his father built a shipyard and sawmill. The first Quaker meeting was organized on August 1, 1733, at the home of William Borden.
On July 3, 1754, William Borden Jr. married widow Comfort (Lovett) Small (1731-1809) of Carteret County. William Jr. followed in his father’s footsteps and became prominent in town, county and colonial affairs. In 1765 records show that “a good Quaker” near Beaufort distilled turpentine and made other naval stores. He also continued the family shipbuilding business—becoming a leader of that industry in Carteret County.
|Spritsail Skiff |
Trees are blocking view of
Belcher Fuller House.
Note cistern behind the skiff.
Following the writing of the Declaration of Independence, the Fifth Provincial Congress met in Halifax, North Carolina on November 12, 1776. William Borden, Jr. was selected as a delegate from Carteret County. During that season the Bill of Rights was adopted—December 15, 1776.